Finding Peace In The Midst Of Chaos
“And then one day I decided that hurry and stress were no longer going to be part of my life. Stress is self-created; I decided to stop manufacturing it. We can choose an internal calm and joy even amid the chaos” – Brendon Burchard
In times of uncertainty you tend to fill in the blanks in your life, so that you give yourself a feeling of some sort of control. I can’t control COVID-19; I can’t control political upheaval; I can’t control rioting in the streets.
But I can control what? Most people tend to talk to themselves in a negative way. Most people tend to answer chaos and uncertainty with more inner chaos. Instead try something different.
“Let there be an opening into the quiet that lies beneath the chaos, where you find the peace you did not think possible and see what shimmers within the storm.” – John O’Donohue
The question to ask yourself is – does this feed the chaos, or my inner peace? What you need is a change of consciousness. A decision to stop producing stress and instead choose inner calm and peace.
- You can control what you watch, read, or listen to – Does it build you up? Does it make you laugh? Does it energize you? Does it bring you joy?
- You can control the discussions you participate in with others. If they are not upbuilding conversations, walk away.
- You can control the music you listen to, helping you to release emotions that need releasing.
- You can do things that bring the feelings of joy back into your life.
- You can control what you are feeding your heart, mind, soul and body.
If everyone were to exercise these kinds of controls, it would end all wars, eliminate conflicts and prevent injustice.
“Staying positive doesn’t mean you have to be happy all the time. It means that even on hard days you know that there are better ones coming.” – QuotesCollective.com
“Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.” – Simple Reminders
Pinchmeliving.com has a great meme with 10 Truths You Need to Know for Inner-Peace & Happiness.
- It’s impossible for anyone else to define you, you’re the only one who gets to say who you are.
- You were born with everything you need, you’re not missing anything.
- Perfection is a man-made illusion, we’re all beautifully imperfect.
- You are NOT your thoughts, you are the calm awareness behind the noise in your mind.
- Your beliefs can be modified to lift you up, you are fully in control of your happiness.
- The past and future don’t exist anywhere except in your mind. Now is the only real moment.
- Your calling in life is to fully express who you already are, unapologetically shine your light.
- Challenges are gifts for your growth and can unlock your full potential.
- Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself, to be free.
- Surrender is the gateway into sustainable inner peace. Let go.
- credit to Pinchmeliving.com
In finding your inner peace, the path leads through resilience. It’s about focusing on this present moment. You are trying to have an important phone call. One child is hugging you and the other wants you to pay attention to the cat. You have a choice in this moment. You can go into chaos and frustration, or you can practice resilience by hugging your daughter at the same time you are talking on the phone. You can practice resilience by telling your children to wait a few minutes, and they can have your complete attention. Then once their needs are filled, you can give them something to do, and go back to the work that you are doing.
Resilience has the component of compromise within it. When life throws lemons into your well planned schedule, you have a choice to practice resilience. You can focus on the negative things that just happened, with pain, anger, grief, and fear and let the bitterness eat at your soul. Or, you reach back into your resilience pool and focus on the present moment. Focus on what is still good in your situation. Focus on gratitude. Focus on peace. Focus on all of the magic that is still in your life.
“Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” – George Bernard Shaw
In a storm like a tornado or hurricane there is a calm center, in life you have to find this calm center deep within yourself. When everyone else is running around crazy, you do not have to buy into the chaos. It’s a matter of practice, but once you’ve been in this calm centeredness a few times, it becomes easy to immediately place that peace like a protective bubble around you. It really is a simple decision that anyone can make, to stand in the center of their own peace.
“We can weather anything if we stay calm in the eye of the storm” – Lolly Daskal
- What am I grateful for today?
- Who am I connecting with “my heart to their heart” today?
- What expectations of “normal” in my life am I letting go of today?
- What beauty in the world am I creating today?
- How am I walking in beauty today?
The first Saturday of every month we get together on Zoom to talk about our challenges, to encourage each other, and provide inspiration to continue on our individual journeys. As we share the lessons of each one’s individual journey, resilience is grown for everyone. Join us for the next conversation and become even more inspired to reach out and pull your dreams into reality.